Thursday, January 27, 2011

Blue Orchids Don't Exist

There's a lot of internet buzz about Blue Orchids.  I can't quite figue out why, since they don't exist.

"...but I just saw a picture of one on the last page I looked at."

I know, I know, but pictures are faked or manipulated easily.  I can push the color levels in photoshop to make my face look blue if I wanted too. 

The simple fact of the matter is that Blue Orchids are a myth.  It is sort of like finding Dasani on Mars.  There are plenty of purple orchids, even black orchids, but there are no blue ones.

Now if you want to consider dyed orchids, silk orchids, or some other means, then yes... I'm sure you'll find what you need.  But if you want a real blue orchid, give up now and let me save you some time.

The White Stripes have a song called 'Blue Orchid', and I suggest you use the time to listen to that instead.

3 comments:

  1. I have seen them for sale at home Depot and Lowes. I used my phone for the Qreader code and it states they use a special media to grow them. But they will not bloom blue again. They say that they are not dyed it is the media. I just thought you would like to see it. Since I was looking to see if Blue Orchids exists in nature. http://www.silvervase.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just visited Terra and they have "Blue Orchids" advertised on their sign by the highway. They are quite striking. Rarely do you see flowers that are that blue, so I was a little suspicious. When reading the fine print on the tag, it states that the next bloom will be white. $35 for a white orchid is a bit too steep for me. I was informed that I could feed it blue koolaid the next bloom to get the blue. I think that I may attempt that with a $5 orchid. I was not impressed with the false advertising.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where do you find $5 Orchids? lol. But seriously, yeah you can dye orchids, a lot of flowers really, but there are no naturally blue orchids. Some claim to have them but I find they are closer to purple at best. Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete